Flat woven Turkish Towels, namely Pestemal (read as peshtemal) are the original towels used in Turkish Baths, Hammams. They dry fast and they are light even when they are wet, and they can be wrapped around to cover yourself. So they are perfect for the Baths, Spas and Hammams. But guess what; people realized this is also good for the beach! Regular heavy towels were too heavy to carry to the beach and back, too bulky for the limited spaces on the boats and in the backpacks.
More and more designers work to bring a more contemporary look to this centuries old staple. Flat woven towels are the original towels. The fluffy towels we use today started as Pestemals; then an extra loop was added to make the flat weave softer and cosier.
Today Turkish towels are preferred because :
- They are lighter and they don't take up space when storing, travelling,
- Easier to care for,
- Good for the environment; they dry faster, you don't need to dry them in the dryer, they air dry very quickly,
- They don't need to be washed separately like regular towels,
- They can be used as a shawl, scarf, tablecloth, throw, blanket,
- They shake off sand easily
...and also they are very trendy.